As an aid to customers, Boxes Toronto holds a learning and instruction event once a month for packing and moving. The event will be hosted by Boxes Toronto and All Canadian Self-Storage. They will introduce guests to professional movers and packers who will demonstrate how to pack, and enlighten guests to the 101’s of packing and moving.
Learn from the pros what moving boxes and moving supplies are needed to help make your move easier and less stressful. Our website will post times and locations. You may book your reservation online. Boxes Toronto will provide refreshments. Guests can also obtain information regarding self-storage, mobile self-storage, and U-Haul trucks and moving equipment.
- Start packing items you will not need ahead of time. This avoids last minute packing rush.
- Never use duct tape, use packing tape. All cartons should be taped securely.
- Clearly label all boxes on the top and on the side.
- Don’t use boxes without tops. No top makes it impossible to stack properly in the truck.
- Use custom designed boxes when packing fine china and clothing.
- Identify the contents of each carton you pack for easy unpacking.
- Use small boxes for books. They get very heavy very fast.
- Avoid mixing items from different rooms in the same box.
- Remember: the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
- Always stack dishes upwards when packing.
- We suggest larger mirrors, glass table tops, and valued paintings be crated by the movers.
- Use clean tea towels or tissue when packing lampshades to avoid damage.
- Carry with you all currency, jewelry, photo albums and important documents (health records, passports,etc). Movers will not accept responsibility for articles of extraordinary value.
- If using movers, dispose of hazardous materials as the movers will not accept such goods in the truck. Oily mops and rags, combustible or corrosive liquids, explosives, flammables or compressed gases, paints, propane tanks, bleach, etc.
- Don’t use used boxes. You don’t know if the box will be strong enough to support your possessions.
- Towels and pillows may be packed in dresser drawers and they may be used for packing.
- Cartons, when packed, should not weigh more than 50 to 60 pounds.
- Pack lampshades in cartons by themselves.
- When marking cartons, we suggest labelling both on the tops and sides for easy identification.
- Wardrobe boxes are available to hang your suits and dresses full length to prevent wrinkling.
- As you take apart furniture, be sure to tape all parts to the main base.
- Wardrobe boxes are ideal for moving drapes. They are folded, placed on hangers, and pinned below the hanger to secure.
- Clothes can be left in drawers or packed into suitcases.
- Refrigerators and freezers should be defrosted and allowed to dry at least one full day prior to the move.
- Only leave soft goods in dresser drawers.