How to Have a Worry Free Move
- Write everything down! You’ll thank yourself later. Before you even pack one box, create a simple record keeping system. A spiral-bound notebook works well. Number every box you pack and list the contents. Put a label with the destination room on each packing box.
- Use a master “to do” list so you won’t forget something critical.
- Sort and get rid of things you no longer want or need. Have a garage sale, donate to a charity or recycle.
- Don’t throw out everything. If your inclination is to just toss it, ask yourself how frequently you use and item and how you’d feel if you no longer had it.
- Pack like items together. Put toys with toys, kitchen utensils with kitchen utensils.
- Decide what, if anything, you plan to move yourself. Precious item, such as family photos, valuable breakables, or must haves during the move, should probably stay with you.
- Use the correct size moving box for the item. Loose items encourage breakage so use the right packing supplies.
- Put heavy items in small moving boxes so they’re easier to lift.
- Don’t over-pack your boxes as this will increase the chances they will break.
- Be sure to use the correct packing supplies such as bubble wrap, packing paper, foam and furniture pads. All fragile items should be packed and wrapped separately. Also, pad the bottom and sides of boxes with wrapping paper, bubble wrap or bath towels.
- Label boxes on all sides. This way you can identify them no matter how they’re stacked.
- Keep all of your moving documents in one file, including phone numbers. Also keep your address book handy.
- Back up your computer files before unplugging it.
- Inspect each box and all furniture for damage as soon as it arrives.
- Remember, most movers will not take plants.
Two Months Before the Move
- If using a mover, get 2-3 estimates from moving companies you can trust
- If moving yourself, get costs from XYZ Storage and reserve a rental truck
- Create a floor plan of your new home for furniture and appliance placement
- Begin to remove clutter(start with basement,garage and other storage areas)
- Call charity to pick up unwanted household items and take unwanted clothing to bins at XYZ Storage.
- Prepare to have a moving sale for your less valuable items, and have a net-auction for the more valuable ones
- Arrange to transfer school records
- Choose a mover from the quotes and reserve your moving and delivery dates
Six Weeks Before the Move
- Make an inventory of all the items you want to move
- Start packing now! Start with items that aren’t often used
- Contact your insurance agent to transfer or cancel coverage
- Check with your employer to find out what moving expenses they will pay
Four Weeks Before the Move
- Notify mail, magazine subscriptions, newspaper delivery, etc. of your address change
- Contact utility companies to set turn off dates
- Service power mowers, snowmobiles and drain all gas/oil
- Get children’s school records
- If moving to new city/town obtain records and prescriptions from family doctor and dentist
- Give away or arrange transportation of house plants
One Week Before the Move
- Fill out Post Office change of address forms
- Empty your freezer and plan use of foods
- Clean refrigerator. Use baking soda to dispel odour
- Separate cartons and luggage you need for personal use
- Make arrangements for babysitting and pet care for moving day
- Arrange for utilities to be turned on at your new address
On Moving Day
- Plan to spend the entire day at the house. Do not leave until the movers have gone
- Carry jewelry and valuable documents yourself
- Be sure to tell packers and or drivers about fragile or precious items
- Take a final tour of your home. Double check closets, drawers and shelves.
- Disconnect all utilities
- Lock all of the doors and windows